Hi, I’m Li Ting! I was born and raised in Melaka, the home for Nyonya cuisine in Malaysia.
I’ve been making (and eating!) Nyonya Kuih, traditional snacks essential to the Peranakan ever since I was young. Nyonya Kuih was a must during special occasions and celebrations in many Malaysian family (including mine!) as it symbolises prosperity, fortune and longevity.
Traditionally, Nyonya recipes were very closely guarded among the Peranakan. Those times had changed and I would like to share my family’s secret recipes with you.
Our home is a 2-storey bungalow located in a peaceful residential area mostly resides by the locals. Our home is fully air-conditioned so you can cook comfortably under our hot and humid local weather. You will also see a hill of trees and natural greeneries next to our home. If you are lucky, you may even spot some zebra doves resting (and occasionally cooing) on our wall fences!
This cooking class will be fully hands-on! You will make and bring home these 3 very iconic Peranakan’s sweets:
- Kuih Lapis (soft layered cake made from rice flour and coconut milk)
- Pineapple Tart (crispy open-faced tart with pineapple topping)
- Onde-onde (Malaysian mochi with liquid Gula Melaka filling)
1:00pm – Meet up at the instructor’s bungalow and commence cooking class
3.30pm – Enjoy your own kuih creation with a free flow of coffee and tea with your instructor and your classmates
4:00pm – End of cooking class
We will provide everything you will need:
- Ingredients to make Nyonya Kuih (Pineapple jam will be pre-made and provided due to time constraints), cooking tools and an expert instructor (my mom or myself)!
- Free flow of non-alcoholic drinks
- A copy of the recipe and a container for you to bring home your handmade kuih!
So buy your ticket today, please select your preferred date upon check-out!